20 December 2012

0

{Review} Keeper of the Lost Cities - Shannon Messenger


Keeper of the Lost Cities
By Shannon Messenger
Release Date: 10/02/2012
Publisher: Aladdin

Amazon / B&N / TBD / Chapters
Twelve-year-old Sophie Foster has a secret. She’s a Telepath—someone who hears the thoughts of everyone around her. It’s a talent she’s never known how to explain.
Everything changes the day she meets Fitz, a mysterious boy who appears out of nowhere and also reads minds. She discovers there’s a place she does belong, and that staying with her family will place her in grave danger. In the blink of an eye, Sophie is forced to leave behind everything and start a new life in a place that is vastly different from anything she has ever known.
Sophie has new rules to learn and new skills to master, and not everyone is thrilled that she has come “home.” There are secrets buried deep in Sophie’s memory—secrets about who she really is and why she was hidden among humans—that other people desperately want. Would even kill for.
In this page-turning debut, Shannon Messenger creates a riveting story where one girl must figure out why she is the key to her brand-new world, before the wrong person finds the answer first.


Just going to start off by saying, I LOVE THIS.. Like really.. <3

Now that's out of the way.. Let's go with the reasons I love this..

1. Sophie = finding about new life as an elf (yeah, an elf)
2. Fitz and Keefe :")
3. Adventure
4. Kinda MG.. reminds me of Percy Jackson and Harry Potter

Starting with #1, Sophie is the kind of heroine that I like. She's strong and tries her best to fit in to her new world. There was only one thing that bothered me about her. She's just too... perfect, y'know? She has the smarts, graphic memory, best abilities ever among elves, and all the boys seem to drool over her. Too perfect if you ask me.

#2 is Fitz and Keefe. OMG.. Fitz and Keefe are just so awesome. Fitz (Wonderboy) is so drool-worthy :3 Kinda weird since they're all 12/13 somewhere there. I think Fitz is crushing on Sophie but I'm not sure.. Meh.. I wanna know! =>~<= Keefe is just so charming and funny. Haha, life's never dull with Keefe there! He just tease people like crazy lol :) Keefe reminds me of my friend (who's a guy too) except my friend is way weirder..

#3: Adventure. Are you kidding me? This aspect of the book is flipping awesome. With Sophie going to see the doctor nearly every single day, it's kind of funny haha. Sophie will be best friends with the doctor definitely. And it's crazy the stuff these guys go through. All about finding out about Sophie's past/Black Swan/ everblazing fire and stuff. MYSTERIOUS.. You may now ooh and ahh ;)

#4: Reminds of Percy Jackson + Harry Potter. Percy Jackson is the first series I've ever read.. which is also the books that ever got me into reading like a fanatic. This book doesn't dwell too heavily on the romance like the YA books. It certainly has MG aspects in it. Reminds me of PJ and HP because it's about their crazy lives and not about "ooh.. I wonder if he likes me.." <-- That sounds kind of stupid and girly, doesn't it?

The only thing that would make me dock 0.5 points off is its similarity to Harry Potter. Some of the main characters I can match them with someone from HP. The plot lines are different but still.. Certain parts of the world this author has created is too much like HP. It's just like it's elves instead of wizards.

Even though this is kind of similar to Harry Potter, you should definitely give this a try. Actually, I liked this better than Harry Potter.. (wasn't that big of a fan anyways). So all of you people out there, GIVE THIS A TRY, MAN. YOU WON'T REGRET IT. So I'm going to leave you guys with this quote ;)


"Ready for more siren song?" Sir Conley asked. "You have no appreciation for art or nature," he grumbled, clapping his hands. An earsplittingly shrill whine -- part whale song, part nails on a chalkboard, with just the right amount of toddler screaming-- reverberated through the room. "Uncover those ears--I am broadening your horizons, and you will listen to every note!"


Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)