14 March 2013

1

{Review} Catching Jordan - Miranda Kenneally


Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally
Series: Hundred Oaks #1
Release Date: 12/01/2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
ONE OF THE BOYS. What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Green moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?


My review of Stealing Parker (Hundred Oaks #2).

Catching Jordan is a contemporary novel that I really enjoyed. I read Stealing Parker (the second book) before I read this one since they were completely different stories. This book was just awesome and had me excited (or sad) throughout the whole entire book.

One of the things that I was getting into was football! (Yeah, never thought I'd ever say that, man). I seriously HATE football and groan every time football season comes because the coach expects you to pitch the ball across the field like a pro (which I'm not). Surprisingly, the element of football is very well-written in this book and got me so excited! Have no fear about hating this just because of the sport. I assure you that you will love how the sport is integrated into the story.

And have I told you that the characters are hilarious? They are like real people.. Like the conversations were actual real-life teens. I hate it when authors try to sound younger since they're writing a YA novel. But I can definitely tell Kenneally isn't faking anything. It sounds good! The conversation actually works! I cannot tell you how many times I laughed when I was reading this (especially the dirty jokes, lol). 

There were a few things that I didn't like though. The love interest was sort of like Stealing Parker's. It's a friend turned boyfriend relationship. The hurting/problematic period was sooooo long and it got a bit discouraging. The guys on the football team also screwed around with girls everyday (that's not good for teen readers). And I wish the ending could've gone more into Jordan and Henry's relationship.

Overall, I really liked the ending though I wish we had known what school she chose ('cause it seemed like a pretty big deal). There should be a sequel to Henry + Jordan's story because I felt like it worked really well between them. I'll always love Kenneally's contemporaries and Catching Jordan was a really well-written story of self-discovery. Jordan learnt how to make the best of her conditions and get what she wanted in life and I guess all of us teens need to learn how to do that.


Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I've never read a Keneally book before but I'll definitely pick Catching Jordan come this summer. I actually don't know anything about football so I think this book will give me an idea if the game is for me or not. Though I'm having a feeling that you liked Stealing Parker better than this book.

    Great review, Ariella!

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    P.S. Thank you for liking my name =D and I think you've a really cool name!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)