16 August 2013

3

{Review} Confessions of an Angry Girl - Louise Rozett


Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett
Genre: YA Contemporary
Release Date: August 28 / 2012
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make….
1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?
2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.
3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)
Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.
(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)
(Sorry. That was rude.)

I've seen good reviews of this series from my favorite bloggers saying this is a good high school story. I found this pretty good but there were a few things that I didn't quite like.

Rose Zarelli is our protagonist. Her dad died from a war in Iraq and she's been trying to deal with her problems just as she became a high school freshman. From the synopsis, you can see how her life sucks in a bunch of ways. Her dad died, her mom closed off, her brother abandoned her. Then, she crushed on this guy named Jamie Forta, which pissed off this cheerleader. Her friend changed and wants to be a shallow cheerleader and have sex with some jerk. Basically, her life sucks pretty bad.

Bullying is something kids deal with everyday. Even a kindergartner gets bullied on the playground. I find that Rozett writes the situations pretty well. While not everyone may be extremely bullied like she was, everyone can relate to what happened to Rose one way or another. The distinct teenage voice helps the writing bring Rose Zarelli to life.

I did like those parts but there were a few things I didn't like. I feel like Rose could've tried harder in some of the situations and it might have turned out better. I was also annoyed when Jamie Forta showed up and that's all she could think about. That's just some stuff I tolerated.

Confessions of an Angry Girl is a great contemporary I enjoyed. I will get on the sequel soon and see how Rose would deal with being a sophomore. 

Rating:

3 comments:

  1. This book sounds pretty good, I think I would the main character's personality. I'm glad the author dealt with bullying in a good way since it's a real issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this book. And for no particular reason but that the synopsis some how caught me. I guess it was a little disappointing to find out that Rose was a little thinking about dream-boy all day 24/7 but I don't think that will stop me from reading this book. Dealing with the issue of bullying isn't something I love to read, but makes me root for the MC much more.

    Wonderful review, Ariella! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book a while back, but I do seem to recall that it wasn't a very interesting read. However, I do agree that the narrative voice was quite realistic!
    Nice review Ariella :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)