21 July 2013

4

{Review} The Pirate's Wish - Cassandra Rose Clarke


The Pirate's Wish 
by Cassandra Rose Clarke
Series: The Assassin's Curse #2
Genre: YA Fantasy
Release Date: Jun 18 / 2013
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
After setting out to break the curse that binds them together, the pirate Ananna and the assassin Naji find themselves stranded on an enchanted island in the north with nothing but a sword, their wits, and the secret to breaking the curse: complete three impossible tasks. With the help of their friend Marjani and a rather unusual ally, Ananna and Naji make their way south again, seeking what seems to be beyond their reach.

Unfortunately, Naji has enemies from the shadowy world known as the Mists, and Ananna must still face the repercussions of going up against the Pirate Confederation. Together, Naji and Ananna must break the curse, escape their enemies — and come to terms with their growing romantic attraction.

- My review of The Assassin's Curse
This review may contain spoilers to the previous book

Last year I read The Assassin's Curse and it was so good! Once this book was out, I knew I had to pick it up immediately. The Pirate's Wish was a lot better than the first book. The romance, plot, and characters were all thoughtfully planned out and brought to a nice conclusion in the end.

The romance is something you don't often see in YA. It wasn't insta-love and it was developed slowly like a real relationship. At first, Ananna and Naji didn't even like each other. Then they became friends and then a couple. I found it really sweet and cute. It wasn't all about sex; it was about the relationship and friendship between the two of them and the support they provided for each other.

The plot also took a whole turn! There was a lot more action and curse-solving in the Pirate's Wish. The Assassin's Curse was used to set the whole story up and provided a bit of back story. The whole curse-solving thing was completed in this novel! The three impossible tasks weren't so impossible after all! You just gotta open yourself up the all the possibilities (just totally quoted Avatar the Last Airbender right there).

With a dead wizard, minotaurs, assassins, pirates, and talking sharks, what more could you ask for? I couldn't put this book down and this one is definitely a recommendation and a must-read!

Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I have the first book, but I haven't read it yet. I had to skim your review so that I wouldn't see any spoilers >.< But I saw that you gave it an A, so that's good!

    ~Sydney@Pika Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the first book yet so I skimmed but I love love love the sound of the sequel being better than the first book because usually sequels are not as good the first book but that is clearly not the case here.

    Alise @ Readers in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the sequels are usually worse than the first. This one isn't the case though! This is a duology so this is the seccond and last book..

      Delete
  3. Wow you've made me excited for this one all over again. I just read The Assassin's Curse and wasn't sure if I wanted to pick up the second but now I will definitely have to :) Great review!

    -Mari @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)