26 November 2012

0

{Review} Valkyrie Rising - Ingrid Paulson


Valkyrie Rising by Ingrid Paulson
Series: Valkyrie #1
Release Date: 10/09/2012
Publisher: HarperTeen

Amazon / B&N / TBD / Chapters
Nothing ever happens in Norway. But at least Ellie knows what to expect when she visits her grandmother: a tranquil fishing village and long, slow summer days. And maybe she’ll finally get out from under the shadow of her way-too-perfect big brother, Graham, while she’s there. 
What Ellie doesn’t anticipate is Graham’s infuriating best friend, Tuck, tagging along for the trip. Nor did she imagine boys going missing amid rumors of impossible kidnappings. Least of all does she expect something powerful and ancient to awaken in her and that strange whispers would urge Ellie to claim her place among mythological warriors. Instead of peace and quiet, there’s suddenly a lot for a girl from L.A. to handle on a summer sojourn in Norway! And when Graham vanishes, it’s up to Ellie—and the ever-sarcastic, if undeniably alluring Tuck—to uncover the truth about all the disappearances and thwart the nefarious plan behind them.
Deadly legends, hidden identities, and tentative romance swirl together in one girl’s unexpectedly-epic coming of age.



Valkyrie Rising was a very well-written book that taught me more about Norse Mythology. There also some other mythical characters that I knew of before. Being a total mythology junkie, I knew I had to read this one :) 

The first chapter goes off well at Graham's party. We were also introduced the very charming Tucker (ah, such a cutie :3). We see how Ellie's life was always lived in Graham's shadow and controlled by Graham. I think Graham is too much of a controlling character. REALLY, DUDE. That guy needs to let Ellie live her own life.

I am not as familiar with Norse Mythology as I am with Greek/Roman. But at least I knew Odin (the one-eyed dude, lol) and Loki (he was pretty sexy or downright evil in some other books). There was also an appearance of the goddess Morrigan (did I spell that right?). Morrigan is a celtic birdie (raven?) goddess I think.. I knew that from a series of MG books I read. In this book, Morrigan isn't sadistic but actually a kind goddess so I was kind of surprised by that.

I think Ellie is a very kick-ass Valkyrie. She tried to beat Astrid even though she's not experienced at all. No, really. Astrid beats her by a few thousand years or something. Oh yeah, ELLIE & TUCKER. BEST. COUPLE. EVER. As I'm typing this, I got a goofy smile on my face. Ah~ They're so cute :3 *fangirl*

I really wish there was more on Norse Mythology. The only thing mentioned about it was Odin and Loki and some war that they're in. That's not that much on Norse stuff at all. Heck, I know more about Norse Mythology than this book mentions and I've never read a single book about Norse mythology. So I thought that's something the book could have added.

So, that's basically my whole experience of reading Valkyrie Rising. And an amazing experience, that was :) I really loved this book and I would totally recommend this to any mythology junkie (like me!) or just anyone who wants some action :)


Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)