03 October 2014

1

{Review} A Little Something Different - Sandy Hall


A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall
Genre: YA Romance
Release Date: Aug 26 / 2014
Publisher: Swoon Reads
The creative writing teacher, the delivery guy, the local Starbucks baristas, his best friend, her roommate, and the squirrel in the park all have one thing in common—they believe that Gabe and Lea should get together. Lea and Gabe are in the same creative writing class. They get the same pop culture references, order the same Chinese food, and hang out in the same places. Unfortunately, Lea is a reserved, Gabe has issues, and despite their initial mutual crush, it looks like they are never going to work things out. But somehow even when nothing is going on, something is happening between them, and everyone can see it. Their creative writing teacher pushes them together. The baristas at Starbucks watch their relationship like a TV show. Their bus driver tells his wife about them. The waitress at the diner automatically seats them together. Even the squirrel who lives on the college green believes in their relationship.
Surely Gabe and Lea will figure out that they are meant to be together...



*A copy was provided by the publisher for review*
Thank you, Raincoast Books!

Well, this book is definitely a little something different. Haha, see what I did there? (I crack myself up, really, I do). But anyways, this romance book is unlike anything else I've ever read before. For once, it's actually about shy people!

Usually when you think of a romance book, you'd think about a flirty / daring guy that makes all the moves and the girl that either falls hard for said guy or doesn't give him the time of the day. A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall is about two extremely shy people that have the same creative writing class. They are literally a match made in heaven as they have everything (I'm not joking here) in common. They watch the same TV, eat the same Chinese food (the deliver guy was getting mad that he had to come to the same place twice everyday to deliver the exact same meal), etc. Basically, everyone thinks they should get together. 

This book is told from multiple points of views. It's told from the views of people that are in Gabe and Lea's lives but not the actual couple themselves. Hands down, my favourites would have to be the bench and the squirrel. Those are very unusual points of views and it's quite funny to read about them. 

This is for all the shy people out there, I swear. Every time I read a romance novel, I would always think, "Damn, I wish I could be that hilarious / daring / confident / fill in whatever applies here." Their situation reminds me so much of myself. I'm a shy person and I would never dare to make the first move. I would probably just watch my crush from far away (sad, I know). And it's just my luck that the type of people I like are the shy ones too. Two shy people crushing on together = never gets anywhere. That is just my personal connection to the story, and I really loved it.


A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall is a special little gem among romance novels. It's a very different romance story and even though the progress through the plot was slow, I found myself enjoying every second with Gabe and Lea. They are just too "annoyingly adorable" (and I quote from Victor, one of the characters in the story). To sum this book up, it's just cuteness overload. 



Rating: 

1 comment:

  1. Haha I agree how Lea and Gabe are "annoyingly adorable". I really liked this book too but at times I just wanted to smack Lea and Gabe's head and just tell them to make a move, especially Gabe!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)