07 February 2014

0

{Review} Cress - Marissa Meyer


Cress by Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #3
Genre: YA Science Fiction + Retelling
Release Date: Feb 4 / 2014
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.
In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.
Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.
When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.


*A copy was provided by the publisher for reviewing purposes*
Thank you so much to Raincoast Books and Macmillan!

- My review of Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) is here

This review may contain spoilers to the previous books.

Oh wow, I didn't think the book would be this good! I'm really used to series dying down slowly after the first one but this series just keeps getting better and better!

In this book, we are introduced to Cress who has been trapped in a satellite for almost a decade. She's contained and she might seem naive at times. I'm amazed at how defined each character is (main and secondary). I love all of them and I think Cress is a nice addition to the cast. 

The crew is still trying to save Earth from the clutches of Queen Levana. During a rescue to get Cress from the satellite, things go wrong and the group gets separated. Without one of the character, the whole story feels a bit incomplete but I guess it is neccessary. Scarlet is captured and we don't get to see a whole lot of her. Wolf gets really whiny (which is kind of out of character); I just expect him to drop everything to go save her but he doesn't. This whole adventure is just told between Cress and Cinder's point of view and a little bit in Kai's point of view as well (all in third person). 

This book is pretty emotional and I can't help but mention the romance. Cress has always pictured Captain Thorne as this heroic person and I find that a bit charming. Thorne is a really charismatic person and I think readers can't help but fall in love with him. I don't I couldn't resist ;) Both of them are quite shy and the romantic scenes always made my heart flutter in excitement!

Cress is an excellent addition of the Lunar Chronicles and it definitely deserves a high rating from me! At the end, we just get a glimpse of Princess Winter and now I just can't wait for the final installment of the series!

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)