15 November 2013

0

{Review} The Burning Sky - Sherry Thomas


The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas
Genre: YA Fantasy
Release Date: Sept 17 / 2013
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
It all began with a ruined elixir and an accidental bolt of lightning...
Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation—or so she's being told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the greatest mage tyrant the world has ever known. A suicide task for anyone let alone a sixteen-year-old girl with no training, facing a prophecy that foretells a fiery clash to the death.
Prince Titus of Elberon has sworn to protect Iolanthe at all costs but he's also a powerful mage committed to obliterating the Bane to avenge the death of his family—even if he must sacrifice both Iolanthe and himself to achieve his goal.
But Titus makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the Bane closing in, he must choose between his mission and her life.


Fantasy is one of my favorite genres, so naturally I couldn't pass up The Burning Sky. Sherry Thomas has created a beautiful world with elemental mages, a handsome prince, an evil villian and the occasional dragon.


Iolanthe is our protagonist though she is often called Fairfax throughout the whole book. She is the greatest elemental mage of her generation and she has been prophesied to defeat the Bane, the most powerful mage and tyrant in the whole world. Prince Titus, her companion, helps prepare her for battle as he's guided by his late mother's visions. He never though the powerful elemental mage in the prophecy could be a girl and he makes the mistake of falling in love with her.

I really loved the world Sherry Thomas has created. There were great details and everything was just so magical. In this kingdom, the elements are fading and less elemental mages are being born. As Fairfax and Titus set out on their adventure, I was never bored for a moment and I couldn't stop turning the pages. My favorite parts were when they played through the stories in the Crucible (a book that lets them practice their magic in fairytales) and the times Fairfax interacted with the Eton boys (they're always there for a good laugh). Even when they're on a super dangerous mission, I'm always on my toes as I watch them go through nearly impossible tasks. There's also Wintervale and Kashkari, the Eton boys that are part of Fairfax's daily life. They make everyday life so much better and plus, Kashkari is my favorite side character.

I wouldn't say the romance was a big part of this book but it was certainly there. I know that they care deeply for each other and Titus is always concerned about Fairfax's safety. Their relationship feels real. They go through fights sometimes but they fix it by communicating with each other. Their banters are funny and entertaining as well.

The Burning Sky is a great book that I'd recommend to all fantasy fans. The magical adventure kept me turning the pages! Those Eton boys won't know what hit them ;)

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)