17 March 2013

0

{Review} Scarlet - Marissa Meyer


Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #2
Release Date: 02/05/2013
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own.
As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.


Cinder, the first book in the Lunar chronicles, totally rocked my socks last year! It was just so fun to read a retelling about Cinderella :) And I was pretty excited to get my hands on Scarlet so when it came out, I had to start reading ASAP!

In Scarlet, we get introduced to.. well, Scarlet. She's Little Red Riding Hood and her grandma got kidnapped so she has to go save her. Scarlet is just as interesting and badass as Cinder and I really enjoyed reading about what she was doing. From the beginning, you can see that Scarlet had one clear goal: To rescue her grandma. I felt like that's really good because with a lot of books, the protagonist didn't even know where she was going half the time. I felt like this was straight to the point and the readers could start getting excited.
One of my weirdest trait is that I get really annoyed by changing point of views. This was not the case with Scarlet! I think the changing perspectives between Scarlet, Cinder, and Kai was very well done. They had different voices and they had different stories going on that I was never confused thinking, "Wait a minute, who is this again?" 

I also really enjoyed Scarlet and Wolf's romance :) Wolf is such a badass toughie on the outside but on the inside.. *sigh* it's all mushiness for Scarlet. I can tell he really loves her and that he doesn't really know what to do with the feeling since he never liked anyone before.

We also got to be in Queen Levana's head for a bit! That's was really interesting and I can't tell you how many times I wish what she was thinking in that head of hers ;)

One thing I gotta complain about, girlfriend, is the lack of our beloved Prince Kai. WHY IS THERE NO KAI IN HERE??? Well, we did get to read about him but he never interacted with any other characters. We only saw him handling the kingdom. That wasn't fun at all. I thought Cinder and Kai were going to have a romantic reunion or something *sigh*

The other thing was that Cinder and Scarlet's plot merged near the end. I wish they met each other sooner because I quite enjoyed reading about the two together.

Scarlet was a really suspenseful book with everything going on. I just couldn't put this down. When one thing with Scarlet was finished, I wanted to keep reading so I can see what's going to happen with Scarlet. That's very bad for my grades lol (not getting hmrk done). Romance and adventure with Scarlet and Wolf is very interesting and my favorite part of the entire book :D I enjoyed this book a lot and can't wait for Cress!

P. S. But seriously, we need more Kai, okay?

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)