21 November 2014

0

{Review} The Falconer - Elizabeth May


The Falconer by Elizabeth May
Genre: YA Fantasy / Historical Fiction
Release Date: May 6 / 2014
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Heiress. Debutant. Murderer. A new generation of heroines has arrived.

Edinburgh, Scotland, 1844

Lady Aileana Kameron, the only daughter of the Marquess of Douglas, was destined for a life carefully planned around Edinburgh’s social events – right up until a faery killed her mother.
Now it’s the 1844 winter season and Aileana slaughters faeries in secret, in between the endless round of parties, tea and balls. Armed with modified percussion pistols and explosives, she sheds her aristocratic facade every night to go hunting. She’s determined to track down the faery who murdered her mother, and to destroy any who prey on humans in the city’s many dark alleyways.
But the balance between high society and her private war is a delicate one, and as the fae infiltrate the ballroom and Aileana’s father returns home, she has decisions to make. How much is she willing to lose – and just how far will Aileana go for revenge?

*A copy was provided by the publisher for an honest review*
Thank you to Raincoast Books!

The Falconer by Elizabeth May was something that I needed to feed my faerie book obsession. Faeries are one of my favourite supernatural creatures to read about and I think The Falconer pretty much fit my bill of a kickass faerie story.

Lady Aileana Kameron is a Scottish teenage girl who seems like a normal girl that goes to balls and attend important social events. After a rumour sprung up about her killing her mother, her life seems ruined. To avenge her mom, she began to hunt the fae. Kam is a very stubborn girl, but she could kick some faerie ass, that's for sure. She's also an inventor and she makes some cool stuff to try out on the faeries.

Aside from those awesome points, The Falconer also has some very well thought out characters. The two love interests in this book are Kiaran MacKay and Gavin Galloway. I like the former better by a long shot. Kiaran is Kam's mentor and he taught her how to hunt faeries. Gavin is a childhood friend who Kam had a crush on when she was little. Aside from these two characters, I also love Derrick. Derrick is a little faerie (pixie?) that Kam hired to fix all her clothes and he is also a snarky little energized pixie. Kam pays him by honey, haha. Those pixies get real drunk on that stuff, I tell ya!

What stopped me from giving this book an A is the fact that the romance developed a bit too fast for my taste. They didn't even really acknowledge their feelings to each other before they started saying I-love-yous and stuff like that. I guess time was short for them as the world was ending, but I would still dock some marks for that.

The Falconer is a kickass book I would recommend to anyone who wants a good fix of faerie lore. Even if you've never really tried out faerie books before, I'd urge you to try it. I would say any fan of the fantasy or paranormal genre would definitely gobble this book up!

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)